Lichtenburg is a town situated in North West Province of South Africa. It is the administrative centre of Ditsobotla Local Municipality.
The town was established in 1873 and was named by Transvaal President Thomas François Burgers, Lichtenburg (Town of Light). On the 13 March 1926, Jacobus Voorendyk, discovered a diamond on his family farm and within 12 months there were 108,000 fortune seekers on the scene. The resulting diamond rush lasted ten years.
Jews in Lichtenburg
There are some records of Jewish settlers coming to Lichtenburg before 1900, among them were David Rothschild who farmed and ran a store; Louis Goldstein, who traded in skins and hides; Abe Slavin, a tailor and Dr Kohn, who was made district surgeon before 1900. Read more ....